Thursday, April 21

Shadowspell: Book Review

by Jenna Black

Main Players: Dana, Ethan, and the Erlking
Place: Avalon

Well, what a disappointment.  It had been so long since I had read the first that I had pretty much forgotten what it was about.  So, I had a really hard time getting into the book.  The only thought that kept revolving through my mind was that I really disliked Ethan and felt Dana to be pathetic.  These thought really didn't change as I progressed through the book, but I was hopeful it would.  Sadly, Dana just gets herself into one dumb fix after another.  The only thing I even remotely liked about this book was that relationship wise it is refreshing.  She is sixteen and flitting from one guy to another as fitting her age.  Yeah, I still hope she finds a great one to settle with, but for now this isn't too bad.  Especially, since she keeps picking utter losers.

Spoiler Section:
So the whole virginity thing was just a bit much for me.  The author builds up this sexual tension like you wouldn't believe.  Not to mention between some really sick characters, namely the Erlking.  Then she goes and pulls the whole virginity thing to try to cool it down for a while.  I really would rather it not have been a necessity.  What is so wrong with drawing out the falling in love part?  Lust is way overrated!