Friday, July 29

K.C. Blake: Lunch and an Interview

Today, we’re doing lunch and an interview with author K. C. Blake.

Q: K. C., can you tell us a bit about your new book?

A: Sure. I’ll just read to you what it says on Amazon so I don’t drone on and on about it.

The Noah sisters rule Titan High with their beauty, brains, and magical powers.

Each year they play a secret game: Crushed. The girls pick their targets carefully
and blow enchanted dust into the boy’s faces, charming them, but this year Kristen
makes a grave mistake. She chooses the wrong boy and almost dies that same day.
Coincidence? Maybe.

But something isn’t quite right about Zach Bevian. He doesn’t behave like a boy
who’s been Crushed. He goes from hot to cold, from looking at her with contempt to
asking her out on a date. She doesn’t know what to think. Does he hate her or is he
truly falling for her? Is he trying to kill her, or is he trying to save her?

Q: Sounds cool. What sort of magical powers do these girls have?

A: Well, they can all three do certain things like move objects with their minds, but each
girl also has a special gift that none of the others have. Cyndi can fix things with a wave
of her hands. Brittany is good with revenge spells, and Kristen has dreams that come
true. Unfortunately for her, she keeps dreaming about someone accusing her in public.

Q: What happens if someone accuses her in public?

A: She loses all of her powers. This is Kristen’s biggest fear. She’s a very strong
character, but she doesn’t think she can live without her powers.

Q: Is CRUSHED part of a series?

A: Yes, it is, but this isn’t a series like Vampire Academy or Twilight. CRUSHED is the
first book in the Witch-Game series. Each book has a different game and a different cast
of characters. I tell Kristen and Zach’s story in CRUSHED, but Witch Hunt is all about
Starr and Dylan.

Q: How many books will there be in this series, and when will they be
available?

A: So far, I’ve only written two. Witch Hunt should be released later this year. As
for how many, I have no idea. It depends on how many games I can come up with for
witches to play.

Q: How did you become an Indie Author? Why not go the traditional

route?

A: Well, I started off being a traditional writer. I published with Harlequin. Then I
found an agent with Trident Media Group, one of the top agencies in New York City,
and she loved VAMPIRES RULE. Unfortunately, the market is saturated with vampire
books, so no one would touch it. I shelved it for a few years. Then I heard about Indie
publishing, and I love it. I do my own covers. I decide what goes in the book and what
doesn’t. When I published the traditional way, editors ripped my books apart, and made
me include only what they liked. They even changed the titles of the books on me. This
way it’s all me.

The only problem I see with it is that so many people don’t take it seriously, including the
writers themselves. There are a lot of people who slap together a book without editing
and put it up for sale, hoping for big money. They make the rest of us look bad. So I’m
trying to change opinions on Indie Authors one reader at a time.

Q: You mentioned your first book, VAMPIRES RULE. Is it also part
of a series?

A: Yes. The second book is coming out soon, followed by five more in the next year
and a half.

Q: You’re going to be busy. What do you plan to do after that? Is
there something you desperately want to write but haven’t gotten to
yet?

A: Definitely. I have a hunter series in mind that has a lot of awesome creatures in it,
things not done to death. In other words, we won’t be seeing vampires and werewolves
in this series. I just have so much to do right now that I can’t get to it yet. It isn’t even in
the foreseeable future.

Q: If someone wants to find you on the online to talk or find out about
your latest books, where should they go?

A: I have a blog called Ghost Writer. It is here: http://kasi-kcblake.blogspot.com
I also have a Goodreads Author Page and group on Goodreads called Q&A with K. C.
Blake, a Twitter account under Kasiblake, and I have Facebook fan pages for both K.
C. Blake and Vampires Rule. I would love to hear from people who read and enjoy my
books.

Great. Thank you for stopping by, K. C., and I wish you luck with your
future writing career.

Upcoming: my review of Crushed.