Tuesday, January 31

In the Shadow of the Moonlight - The Awakening: Character Interview

1. When we first meet you, your grandmother reveals her family secret to you. What were your first thoughts about it?
The first thing I thought that she is kidding me. But after looking at her face I thought this story should stop my plans going to study abroad. As well I thought for a short moment that she is demented. Most times she was really scared if I asked for staying over night by a friend. But it was time to go, to live by my own.

2. Was there even a small part of you that believed in her tale of her mother being a were-panther?
Yes, there was, but only in a funny way. I never believed that were-panthers exists. This is like the werewolves, vampires or hobbits. Nice for movies and novels but nothing real. The story sounded to me like a fairy tale told by my grandmas mother.

3. What do you consider are your strengths and weaknesses?
If I aim something I go for it. Obstinately. And there you have also my weakness. To be obstinate is good but on the other way it could be your own enemy. As well I am sometimes naive, I know, but I am working on it. One day I hope to consider judiciousness to one of my strengths. Another reason why I have to leave my family for some time.

4. Describe yourself in 3 words??
Friendly, fun-loving, honest.

5. What made you pursue a career in athletic sports?
I love sports, all of them - as well this ones I am bad in - and I love to talk about it, so I thought it might be the best choice for me. Maybe I become later a teacher to show kids that sport is not work but fun or if I can make it I will be sportswriter. That would be my perfect job when I am not that sporty like I am now. So I can still talk about sport events.

6. What has been your favorite sport since coming to the U.S. and why??
Distance running and martial arts. They always will be my favorite ones. But after practicing basketball with some really good players I will never stop playing. It is so much fun. I love to fight about the ball, keep it and pitch it in the basket.

7. With everything that has been going on what's the most important thing in your life? What do you value most?
My family. This is only my mom and my grandmother. But I consider my best friends like family too. They always be there for me and I will be there for them.

8. Can you tell us what was going in your mind when you first shifted?
I was shocked and afraid. I had no control over my body and I am used to have always the control over it. It was so strange to be in this new body and it was very hard to discover that I had to learn walking again. I could not believe that the fairy tale story is true and I am like my grandmas mom.

9. What is your favorite food??
Each kind of pizza :-) I can eat it for breakfast.

10. Describe your ideal mate?
My ideal mate has to be cute, of course ;-), I prefer tall and dark haired males, but even more important for me is that he make my laugh, that he is honest and loyal to me, that he trust me as well if I can't tell him the whole truth.

11. What are the good and bad things about being able to shift into a panther?
One thing is that you can hear pretty good, that you feel like home in the woods,
without being afraid of the darkness and of course that you can run fast and climb on trees. It's fun. The nights in the woods are beautiful. The moonlight, the silence, the smell. The bad thing is that I am forced to shift into a panther without chance to protract it. I am not happy about it but I have to live with it. Imagine to shift into a panther in the city hall or the hospital. I am sure that I would not survive this. I have to be very careful.

12. What is your favorite party food or drink??
As I told you I love pizza. So it is pizza but I like hamburgers too. I prefer wine to beer, but I will be happy with a Coke as well. So if you like to invite me to a party, you won't have to offer pizza or something special. Tell me where and when it is and if it is not too far away I will be there. But take care, I can't be there for a full-moon-party.

Biography
J. J. Bidell grew up in the country-bred of Southern Germany with an older sister and a younger brother. Since she was 18 years old she traveled every year like a backpacker thru North and South America as she never felt comfortable in her native country. She considers herself like a cosmopolitan with German roots. After living in Venezuela and in the Dominican Republic she moved to Spain. Since 2005 she lives on Mallorca with her older sister and her fifteen year old black cat, which is more than happy that she never has to set paw in another
airplane again.

Where to meet:

Links to the novel: