Thursday, January 12

Rae of Hope: Book Review

by W.J. May

How hard do you have to shake a family tree to find out the truth of the past?
Fifteen-year-old Rae Kerrigan has never questioned her family’s history. That is until she accepted a scholarship to Guilder Boarding School in England. Guilder is a very unique, gifted school. Rae has no idea what she is getting herself into or that her family’s past is going to come back and taunt her. She learns she is part of an unparalleled group of individuals who become marked with a unique tattoo (tatù) on their sixteenth birthday. The tatù enables them to have supernatural powers particular to the shape of their marking. Both her parents were marked though Rae never knew, as they passed away when she was young and never told her. Learning about her family’s past, her evil father and sacrificial mother, Rae needs to decide if there is a ray of hope for her own life.




Cute adorable read.
I picture a girl sitting in her bed surrounded by stuffed animals reading this.  Maybe even some pig tails and pink fluffy slippers.  It takes me back a bit to my more naive and innocent days.  
The writing was fairly consistent.  There are a few lines that are delivered in a cheesy fashion.  As far as characters I was happy.  Though honestly, I would have preferred Devon as a villain.  In fact I thought early on that he was heading that way.  I keep holding out for it to happen any moment.  Alas, he fell short for me.  I just felt he didn't reach his full potential in the role cast for him.  Come on where is the fire?  His characteristics seem to fill him out as eye candy with a bit of flash.  A bit of a push over when it all comes to the end.  He really didn't contribute when she was in need.
The action in this book comes out of nowhere and is rather impressive in its strength.  Talk about someone being nothing like what they seemed.  I wouldn't trade this girl places for anything.  Even the school full of super hot drooling guys.