Thursday, May 31

Arise: Book Review

Arise
Tara Hudson
Harper Teen
June 5th 2012
Young Adult | Fantasy
Magic

Official Blurb -
Amelia—still caught between life and death—must fight for every moment of her relationship with the human boy Joshua. They can hardly even kiss without Amelia accidentally dematerializing. Looking for answers, they go to visit some of Joshua’s Seer relatives in New Orleans. But even in a city so famously steeped in the supernatural, Amelia ends up with more questions than answers…and becomes increasingly convinced that she and Joshua can never have a future together.Wandering through the French Quarter, Amelia meets other in-between ghosts, and begins to seriously consider joining them. And then she meets Gabrielle. Somehow, against impossible odds, Gaby has found a way to live a sort of half-life...a half-life for which Amelia would pay any price. Torn between two worlds, Amelia must choose carefully, before the evil spirits of the netherworld choose for her.

I don't have much to say about the book as a whole. The characters are great and the story will keep you up at night. I really enjoyed it and am very anxious to see what the third book will bring to the table.

This is the first book that has involved New Orleans that has worked for me. I started to wonder if it was the place and culture that I had problems with. Nope. Or at least not if it is written just like this. My favorite moment in this book involves a disintegrating dress and a young man named Felix. He is my favorite of all the new characters in this book. I am glad we will be getting more of him in the next book.

At about the half way point there is a sharp moment of heartbreak, hard on the heels of which is a world changing moment. But neither of these two moments can break Amelia. Props to her for always sticking it through no matter the situation. Joshua is the sweetest little thing there ever was. If anyone deserves to be happy he should qualify.
And now the bulk of my thoughts about this story:

****Spoiler Section****

What!?!

Tell me I am not the only person to think this way. What is the point in existing if you have nothing to live for? Would the luxuries of food and clothes really fill the hole? I think they would be like ashes without love.

Also, what sort of "good" side expects you to wander in an endless fog for eternity and leaves you in the hands of evil? After all that they have the gumption to tell you to stop trying to be happy and go back to the endless wandering? Why would you want to appease such a being? They obviously don't care about you. I vote take a hold of your life and live each moment. At least that is my advice for Amelia.

Why does Amelia just assume she can't touch Joshua, or did I miss something? I wouldn't trust someone else's theory with something so important to myself. I would be getting my own proof.


Content:
Sexual: Mild
Violence: Moderate