Thursday, May 24

Dark Kiss: Book Review

Dark Kiss
Michelle Rowen
Harlequin Teen
May 29th 2012
Young Adult | Fantasy
 Angel | Demon

Official Blurb -
I don't do dangerous.  Smart, über-careful, ordinary Samantha-that's me. But I just couldn't pass up a surprise kiss from my number-one unattainable crush. A kiss that did something to me...something strange. Now I feel hungry all the time, but not for food. It's like part of me is missing-and I don't know if I can get it back. Then there's Bishop. At first I thought he was just a street kid, but the secrets he's keeping are as intense as his unearthly blue eyes. If he's what I think he is, he may be the only one who can help me. But something terrifying is closing in, and the one chance Bishop and I have to stop it means losing everything I ever wanted and embracing the darkness inside me.... NIGHTWATCHERS When angels and demons must work together, something beyond evil is rising...
The book sure starts in a life changing moment. I felt I was missing something. Where was the somewhat dull introductory chapter? Not only that but it is one of those bad moments. The good guy gets tricked and the bad guy comes off conqueror. What at first felt odd and wrong turns out to be perfect and very catching.  Everything makes sense as the book unravels.

Normally, I am not a fan of angel and demon books. They are full of scripture and prophecy as well as judgement. Very off-putting. This book built a world that is more fictional and functional. Angels and Demons in cohorts just made for some really great moments. The tension and back story are a delight.

The pace of this book is definitely fast, one week from beginning to end. There isn't much time for thought and introspection. No time to make plans; just react to the moment. I am so glad I am not in their shoes. Kisses have always seemed so desirable, but it gives you a moment for a second thought when you weigh the passionate moment against the loss of your soul. Isn't quite as tempting.

Samantha (Sam), and Kraven are my favorite characters in this book. The two of them have some fun dialogue. I especially love how Kraven doesn't like her but calls her sweetness. So much fun; I wouldn't be too heartbroken if something developed out of that impossible pair. I think it would be hilarious to watch them fight all the time. Sam is a bit unique for a main character. She has a deep sense of care for the downtrodden. Also, she has a solid sense of right and wrong without seeming full of herself. It is really easy to feel for her and follow along. Kraven is a mastermind of grabbing attention. He gives just enough information to pique curiosity and then tempts you closer. Before you know it you are fully hooked at his mercy. I am excited to see more Kraven in the next book. What other secrets lay beneath his facade? While we are on the subject of outer appearances, the tattoos on these guys are pretty sweet. Can you really blame Sam for touching? Curious? Better read it and get your own mental picture.

The ending was absolutely awesome. The entire book is dark, even if Sam is in denial about the state of things. So after the characters face a moment filled with darkness, death, despair, loss, and betrayal we get a sappy lovey moment with the parental unit. Following which is the most mundane question, "Feel like pizza?" The response, "Make it a large? Can we get wings, too?" I just love it! A great reminder that no matter how bad things can get, life will continue on. Or maybe the vibe I was getting is pizza is the perfect cure all, mmm. . . yummy.

Content:
Swearing: mild
Sexual: mild
Violence: moderate
Main Character Age: 17
Moment Divine:
"Do I look calm?" I gripped my hands together to keep them from shaking. "I guess I'm only screaming on the inside right now."