Tuesday, May 15

If I Die: Book Review

If I Die
Rachel Vincent
Harlequin
September 27th 2011
Young Adult | Paranormal
Banshee

The entire school's talking about the gorgeous new math teacher, Mr. Beck. Everyone except Kaylee Cavanaugh. After all, Kaylee's no ordinary high-school junior. She's a banshee—she screams when someone dies.

But the next scream might be for Kaylee.

Yeah—it's a shock to her, too. So to distract herself, Kaylee's going to save every girl in school. Because that hot new teacher is really an incubus who feeds on the desire of unsuspecting students. The only girls immune to his lure are Kaylee and Sabine, her boyfriend's needy ex-girlfriend. Now the unlikely allies have to get rid of Mr. Beck…before he discovers they aren't quite human, either.

But Kaylee's borrowed lifeline is nearing its end. And those who care about her will do anything to save her life.

Anything.
Of all the books in the series this was the one I most feared. The end of the last one left me angry. I felt Nash was getting the short end of the stick and it wasn't fair. Sure he had done some bad things but it seemed like there were some extenuating circumstances to factor in. I was worried what would happen to Nash and a tiny rumor leak had me even more upset about Tod. I put off reading this book for a long time. It was a good thing I did. I was able to approach this book level headed and ready for a sweet ride. At the same time the long separation from the last book caused me to forget more than I bargained for. The biggest thing that slipped my mind was how incredibly lusty these characters are. It comes across in their actions and dialogue. No wonder their parents are loath to leave them alone.

The best part about this book was the transition. Kaylee finally takes a look at her life and comes to some important conclusions. She sets out to make everything right and finds herself in places she never imagined. The transitions for her relationships with those around her are almost seamless and natural. Any rushing is easily glossed over by her imminent demise. I loved watching Kaylee grab onto every moment of life. She held almost no selfish desires there at the end but stayed true to character and set out to help those who mattered most. Another great thing about this book is some very fun banter between characters. It was nice to find Kaylee the one dealing out more than taking it this time.

The ending wasn't completely unexpected, but it was nice. It definitely ranks an "Awww, how cute." I feel this book lived up to its predecessors and was amazed to find that it is a doorway to yet another book. What will Kaylee do next? It seems the possibilities are endless. I am curious as to what surprises still lay in waiting. Yet at the same time I feel as if the series is loosing my interest. Maybe Nash really was the sole owner of my attention and his new role just doesn't have the same draw.

Spoiler Section:
The saddest part is definitely Nash. He still is the ill fated one of the bunch. Seemingly always dealing with the consequences left upon him by others decisions. I agree that he made the choice but he didn't get where he was without the actions of others. I can't blame him too much for the things he did but it did help to ease the big transition over to Tod. Poor Nash has one sad and hard looking future. I hope he can find the strength to move forward. Plus, I also hope that happiness is somewhere in his future as well.

Content:
Sexual: Heavy
Language: Moderate
Violence: Moderate
Character Age: 16
Moment Divine:
"For the moment, I am firmly entrenched in denial, which--honestly--feels like the healthiest stage of acceptance. And I'd really appreciate it if you'd let me wallow there for a while."