Friday, June 8

Dreamless: Book Review

Dreamless
Josephine Angelini
HarperTeen
May 29th 2012
Young Adult | Fantasy
Mythology

Official Blurb - Can true love be forgotten?

As the only Scion who can descend into the Underworld, Helen Hamilton has been given a nearly impossible task. By night she wanders through Hades, trying to stop the endless cycle of revenge that has cursed her family. By day she struggles to overcome the fatigue that is rapidly eroding her sanity. Without Lucas by her side, Helen is not sure she has the strength to go on.

Just as Helen is pushed to her breaking point, a mysterious new Scion comes to her rescue. Funny and brave, Orion shields her from the dangers of the Underworld. But time is running out—a ruthless foe plots against them, and the Furies’ cry for blood is growing louder.

As the ancient Greek world collides with the mortal one, Helen’s sheltered life on Nantucket descends into chaos. But the hardest task of all will be forgetting Lucas Delos.

Josephine Angelini’s compelling saga becomes ever more intricate and spellbinding as an unforgettable love triangle emerges and the eternal cycle of revenge intensifies. Eagerly awaited, this sequel to the internationally bestselling STARCROSSED delivers a gritty, action-packed love story that exceeds expectation.

I am strongly inclined to strangling the characters. Please, I am begging just let me reach into the book and take my frustration out on their neck region. I love them so very much but they need some sense smacked into them!

The love triangle in this book has got to be the most messed up in existence. There isn't even a viable option. It may be messed up, but my vote is to toss the rules and follow your heart. At least, in this case, since their lives are already messed up. They deserve some small measure of happiness. I don't see why taking the path that leads to inner darkness is the right path. Poor Lucas just keeps getting dumped on with no reprieve in sight. You can't blame him for being angry and bitter.

My least favorite thing about this book is the nickname "the lover" since I find it somewhat demeaning. What poor sap would want that role or to be called that? It just seems to notate that there is no hope for anything lasting and it seems so meant to be. Oh wait, another thing I really don't like is that Helen seems to be completely fine with some guy who groped and manipulated her insides. So not cool, she should be angry!

This book really made me think about the "good guys" and why they always struggle so much and are seemingly weaker. Here is what I have come up with:

They are predictable
Yep, they care for the little guy and their loved ones which in turn is used against them. Can we have a bad guy who is bored with such predictable foes? Someone who is seeking more of a challenge?
They willingly walk into traps
Heck, sometimes they even help set them up
Good deeds don't always have good pay back
They don't make their stand until they are forced into a corner

The whole book everyone is looking forward to one outcome. If only they can get those crazy fate chicks out of the picture all will be well. Only it doesn't quite work out. Not only that but I really wanted to cheer their actions only to find out that it was a very bad thing. It makes me wonder if the other thing I am wishing for will only reward me with a hand slapping. Shame on you for wanting that! Don't you understand the consequences? Nope, lady I regularly dip that portion of my brain in the River Lethe. Why was it again that I can't have that outcome? I have come to the conclusion that the entire Greek God world is one big incestual soap opera so I don't see why it is a big deal.

This is going to be a hard wait for book three. I will hope that Lucas will get what he promised. Crossing my fingers that there is happiness in his future and not the forgetful type.

Content:
Swearing: Mild
Violence: Gruesome, Moderate to Heavy