Thursday, September 6

Alchemy: Book Review

Alchemy 

Mercian Trilogy #2
K. J. Wignall
Egmont USA
September 25th 2012
Young Adult | Paranormal
Vampire

Official Blurb - 
In the thirteenth century, William, heir to the Earl of Mercia, was attacked and turned into a vampire. For 750 years, Will has spent his life in the shadows. Until he met Eloise.

Together, Will and Eloise must destroy an ancient evil that has led them to Marland Abbey, where Will’s ancestors lived and Eloise attends school. Here they uncover the truth about the four vampire kings, Will's past, and an uncertain future.

But the mysterious sorcerer, Wyndham, is still hunting Will and using Eloise as bait. To protect the girl he loves, Will goes in search of answers—but does that mean walking right into the enemy's trap?

The tone of this book is very serious. It reminded me very much of The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. Dark, mostly explainable material with a hint of otherworldly magic. The romance was a little confusing to me. The characters mention it as if it is so very important but it didn't quite feel that way to me. Will is a bit hard to get behind. He can often be so very detached emotionally and also very lordly. As if he hasn't a care in the world for himself or what others think. There was a lot of misdirection going around with their tiny team. Like a ping pong match for one of the crew in particular. When the whole book came to an end I felt a bit apathetic to the big reveal and the new immense danger.
I wasn't as in the mood for this book as I should have been. I don't think I will pick up the next book unless I am in the mood for a serious vampire book.

Content:
Language: Moderate
Sexual: Mild