Tuesday, September 11

Covet: Book Review

Covet
The Clann #2
Melissa Darnell
HarlequinTeen
September 25th 2012
Young Adult | Paranormal | Romance
Vampire | Witch | Werepanther | Dhamphir

Official Blurb -


Dangerous to be together. Painful to be apart.Savannah Colbert knows she broke up with Tristan Coleman for the right reasons. Most of all, to keep from killing him with her new vampire abilities. But try telling her heart. Now, lost in a sea of hostile Clann faces, Sav tries to come to terms with what she's becoming and what that means for her future. And that someone is doing their best to bully her into making a terrible mistake.

Tristan can't believe Sav won't even talk to him. If being apart is her decision, fine. Just don't expect him to honor it. But even as he prepares to fight for the girl he loves, forces beyond their control take them both in directions neither could have foreseen or prepared for.

A reckoning is coming… and not everyone will survive.
"Oh my ---. What have I done?"

That is pretty much the closing line of the book which for me perfectly sums up the entire experience. Did I really just spend hours and read nearly 500 pages of that? It would appear so.

This was much like attending a ginormous buffet. Instead of food the table is arrayed with a vast spectrum of all things fictional. Instead of picking a few things resulting in a satisfyingly full plate, we have a spoonful or two of almost everything. The plate is a heaping mountain and it runneth over. Everything is mixing together and by the time you see the plate you can't believe you just ate all that. Not to mention having no real recollection of what you ate individually. I had a feeling similar to after Thanksgiving dinner and I was wondering if there was any way to throw it all up. Not so much.

Tristan is so sure and such a strong and grounded individual that others can gravitate around him. But almost within a paragraph he loses his foundation and spends most of the book being tossed by the wind. Savannah is emotionally weak and a wreak. She transforms and takes over the spot Tristan once held.

The miscommunication between Tristan and Savannah is ridiculous and annoying. Could they be any more dumb? They don't even attempt to find out what the truth is, but rather willingly allow themselves to ride a roller coaster through misledville. The section on personal forgiveness was just cheesy to me and caused me no small amount of eye rolling. The time span covered in this book feels rather large. It often felt like I was stuck in the mire of mundane with only an occasional juicy tidbit. Letting this one simmer a bit longer would have weeded out a bit more and made the high points that much better. They seem to have every magical and mythical ability at their finger tips and yet they do not take advantage of them. Just one more example of having too much stuffed into a short span of pages. I feel like I really know these characters and just how they would react to anything. But I didn't feel very connected to their plight despite that knowledge.

I certainly don't covet what they have going on. In fact Covet doesn't even seem like the right title. You can't covet what belongs to you. A better title might have been Pining. I liked this book in a hopeful sort of way. I wanted some resolution after so many pages. When I hit the end I really wanted to rate this a two. But after sleeping on my thoughts I woke with a curiousity. So despite the ending I did have some care distilled into my brain where it concerns a few of these characters. 

Spoiler Section:
I am curious to read the epic show down between Emily and Tristan. Hypocrite, anyone? I am not really sure why Savannah is so torn up at the end. She can't make the decisions for everyone nor can she take the responsibility for their decisions. Tristan got what he wanted so just let it go and move forward. Tone down the guilt already. I really have some desire to see a team made up of the half-breeds and the werepanthers. It sounds like it would make for some super outcast society.

Content:
Violence: Moderate

Moments Divine:
"My mother would crap kittens if she knew all this."
------------------------------------------------------------
"First off, no one goes hunting with a gun. Guns are for hunting people. Rifles are for hunting animals. . . Besides, compound bows are more fun to use than a rifle and a heck of a lot harder to shoot yourself with." Her face wrinkled into a frown. "Though I guess if you were a complete idiot you might accidentally shoot yourself in the foot. Or if you had the worst luck on the planet, a crappy shaft could explode and stab you through the hand. And of course you have to use proper technique so you don't derail the string and kill your arm or take out an eyeball or something. . ."