Tuesday, April 23

Endlessly: Book Review

Endlessly

Kiersten White

HarperTeen
July 24th 2012
Young Adult | Paranormal

Official Blurb -

Evie's paranormal past keeps coming back to haunt her. A new director at the International Paranormal Containment Agency wants to drag her back to headquarters. The Dark Faerie Queen is torturing humans in her poisonous realm. And supernatural creatures keep insisting that Evie is the only one who can save them from a mysterious, perilous fate.

The clock is ticking on the entire paranormal world. And its fate rests solely in Evie's hands.

So much for normal.
Once again the humor was entertaining in this trilogy. The dialogue between Jack and Evie was just so hilarious at points. Jack is such an irreverent boy but I am glad he was around to keep everyone on their toes.

Are you familiar with the Matrix movie? The part where they describe how the mortals in their sick virtual world rejected a perfect society. So they filled that world with misery and trial and the mortals accepted it. Well this story reminds me of that. That probably sounds very strange considering that Evie and her friends go through a bunch of trials. But somehow all those trials just don't seem very deep or real. Maybe it is Evie's ever present attitude to just ignore it and move forward. Nothing can destroy me that I don't choose to acknowledge. Or at least that seems to be her attitude. So nothing really felt all that desperate or dark to me. The endings only further made the whole thing feel less real. I wanted to rebel against all this perfect happy stuff. Usually perfect and happy is just what I want at the end. But there was just too much of a good thing in this book. Her boyfriend is way to perfect to be believable. Planning giant surprise parties and tons of perfect dates. Then everything is so unbelievably happy go lucky cheesy there at the end. It all felt more like some teenager vision of finding the perfect boy and facing some "scary" fun adventures in the process. I felt like Evie when she was having those rainbows forced into her head. It is just too much.

Even though they must have infused those pages with Unicorn blood and I couldn't stop wanting to dance in joy at rainbows it was a good book. I enjoyed my time reading it and thought several of the characters were highly entertaining. Somehow this book just didn't hold up to the same standard as Supernaturally. I think I would gladly read anything else Kristen will publish but I wouldn't say this was my all time favorite trilogy.

Content:
Language: Heavy(Just kidding. Once again the word 'bleep' is used rather frequently.)
Violence: Mild  
Sexual: Clean 
Moments Divine:
"And rainbows! Why did I keep thinking of rainbows? Who cared! Rainbows were totally awesome!
And the unicorn! I beamed at it, reaching out my hand to stroke it. There was never a creature more beautiful, more majestic. I'd spend the rest of my life out here, and we'd prance around the forest, worship the sunlight, bathe in the moonlight, and. . .
I shook my head, scattering the idiotic warm fuzzies that had invaded. "Whoa," I said, shoving the unicorn's head away.
"That's enough of that. I am not going to frolic in an eternal meadow of sunshine and moonlight with you, you rotten little fink. But thanks."
---------------------------------------------------------------

"To be honest, I don't know which court most of the faeries belong to."
"You don't? How can you not know? It seem like pretty vital information to me. You know, 'Are you a member of the evil court kidnapping humans and plotting world domination, or a member of the moderately less evil court who just wants to get the crap off the planet?' sort of a survey when you get them."
---------------------------------------------------------------
"Besides, I wouldn't let you sacrifice your own soul. It's mine."
"Uh, I think you mean my heart is yours. That's a little more romantic and less stalker creepy."
---------------------------------------------------------------
"Stick around, though. I'm going to need all the help I can get to figure all this out."
"That's me! Mister Helpful. Captain Dependable."
"That sounds like a brand of adult diapers."