Thursday, May 23

Dare You To: Book Review

Dare You To

Katie McGarry

Harlequin Teen
June 7th 2013
Young Adult | Contemporary | Romance
Official Blurb - 
Ryan lowers his lips to my ear. "Dance with me, Beth."

"No." I whisper the reply. I hate him and I hate myself for wanting him to touch me again....

"I dare you..."


If anyone knew the truth about Beth Risk's home life, they'd send her mother to jail and seventeen-year-old Beth who knows where. So she protects her mom at all costs. Until the day her uncle swoops in and forces Beth to choose between her mom's freedom and her own happiness. That's how Beth finds herself living with an aunt who doesn't want her and going to a school that doesn't understand her. At all. Except for the one guy who shouldn't get her, but does....

Ryan Stone is the town golden boy, a popular baseball star jock-with secrets he can't tell anyone. Not even the friends he shares everything with, including the constant dares to do crazy things. The craziest? Asking out the Skater girl who couldn't be less interested in him.

But what begins as a dare becomes an intense attraction neither Ryan nor Beth expected. Suddenly, the boy with the flawless image risks his dreams-and his life-for the girl he loves, and the girl who won't let anyone get too close is daring herself to want it all....

Better than Pushing the Limits. Sorry Noah and Echo but you got nothing on Ryan and Beth.

Just love that Ryan is the good guy. Loved it. So refreshing. He is just such a treat to get to know. I have a new found respect or at least good thoughts for sports. Instead of seeming like a waste of space they actually seem to have merit. Ryan makes you feel like anything is possible. Just believe and you can make it happen. No wonder he is such a perfect fit for Beth.

Katie McGarry definitely brings the heat in this story. Yowza! You might need to fan yourself.

Very hard to put down. Intense and addictive. Would have rated it five stars except for all the profanity and I lost some respect for Ryan when he gives up his virginity. Otherwise an absolutely awesome read.

Content:
Violence: Heavy
Language: Heavy
Sexual: Moderate to Heavy
Underage: Sex, drinking, and drugs
Moments Divine:
All girls are the same. It's what I tell myself as I stroll to the counter. She might look different from the girls at home, but all girls want the same thing--a guy who shows interest. A guy's problem is having the balls to do it. Good thing for me I've got balls.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Listening to them discuss my gay brother's possible gay boyfriend is just as comfortable as convincing my mom over and over again that I prefer girls and their girl parts. Nothing makes you think you might need years of therapy like having to say the word breasts in front of your mother.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Get your arm off of me before I rip it off and beat the shit out of you with it."

We're heading for the bonfire. I feel small underneath his massive arm, like a girl, and such vulnerability makes me uncomfortable. Instead of letting go, Ryan effortlessly tucks me under his shoulder. "When you kiss guys, do they drop dead from the venom that spews out of your mouth?"

"I wish, because I would have kissed you days ago."