Thursday, July 25

Breaking Point: Book Review

Breaking Point

Kristen Simmons

Tor Teen
February 12th 2013
Young Adult | Science Fiction
Dystopia
Official Blurb - 
The second installment in Kristen Simmons's fast-paced, gripping YA dystopian series.

After faking their deaths to escape from prison, Ember Miller and Chase Jennings have only one goal: to lay low until the Federal Bureau of Reformation forgets they ever existed.

Near-celebrities now for the increasingly sensationalized tales of their struggles with the government, Ember and Chase are recognized and taken in by the Resistance—an underground organization working to systematically take down the government. At headquarters, all eyes are on the sniper, an anonymous assassin taking out FBR soldiers one by one. Rumors are flying about the sniper’s true identity, and Ember and Chase welcome the diversion….

Until the government posts its most-wanted list, and their number one suspect is Ember herself.

Orders are shoot to kill, and soldiers are cleared to fire on suspicion alone. Suddenly Ember can’t even step onto the street without fear of being recognized, and “laying low” is a joke. Even members of the Resistance are starting to look at her sideways.

With Chase urging her to run, Ember must decide: Go into hiding…or fight back?

Not sure if I have mentioned this before but I just love Chase. How can he be such a great big bear of a man yet such a sweet loving being?

This installment wasn't quite what I was hoping for but it was still very nice. There was plenty going on to keep the pages flying by. While some of the things that happened were obvious there are a few that still remain a mystery. Who is the rat? I still don't trust Tucker but he would have to be crazy to volunteer to be in the middle of the take down. Just the sort of place you are more likely to lose your life and then have gained nothing for your efforts. But then he might just be crazy.

The first hundred pages of the book were a bit dull. Well, all except for a small stolen moment or two for Chase and Ember. But by the end of the book it wasn't dull anymore. As the last couple of pages wound up I just wanted more.

Chase was great. If one had to be in a dystopian novel being loved ferociously by Chase would go a long way to making it alright. It is like his soul is entwined with hers. If she were to perish he would go insane and then die of the loss. Very deep and moving. I wanted to share some of the moments that made this so apparent but they contain too many spoilers. Here is his declaration, "I love you, Em. I've loved you since I was eight years old, and I'll love you my whole life." Or even this observation sums it up, "The way he looks at you . . . like if I twisted your arm, his would fall off or something."

Definitely a great read and I can't wait for the next.

Content:


Violence: Moderate
Moment Divine:
"Did I do something wrong?" I asked bluntly, and watched his guard drop.
"You? No." He shook his head. "No. Last night . . . I didn't mean . . ." He scratched a hand through his black hair, then laughed awkwardly. "I shouldn't have left."
"Why did you then?" I asked.
He leaned forward, elbows on his knees. The heels of his boots made a audible tapping against the cement.
Fresh air was overrated. I rose to go back downstairs, but he grabbed my hand.
"You're grieving," he blurted. "I didn't want you to think, I don't know, I was taking advantage of you." The words were obviously tied up inside of him, and he sighed, frustrated.
"I think I was the one taking advantage of you." I returned to my seat and looked down, but looked down a little ashamed. I hadn't thought he might feel that way.
He snorted. "In that case, please. Go right ahead."